Australian Concrete Mats are the quick and easy permanent erosion control solution for stabilizing slopes, storm water channels, low water crossings, inlets and outlets, and shorelines. The concrete blocks are locked together and embedded in a high tensile 50KN geogrid.
Flexible geogrid reinforced concrete mats combine the benefits of permanent, hard armour protection and natural vegetation. Unlike shotcrete, concrete mats reduce the potential for slope failure caused by a build up in hydraulic pressure from seepage. They are ideal for sites where vegetation may be difficult to establish.
The spacing between the concrete blocks allows the mat to flex and, when required, grass and native shrubs to grow. Vegetated storm water systems reduce soil washing into streams and rivers, increase water infiltration to the subsoil and promote phytoremediation to help remove or degrade contaminants in run-off water.
Australian Concrete Mats can be supplied with non-woven fabrics or a biodegradable nutrient releasing geotextile underlay. Site conditions, and whether or not vegetation is to be established, will determine the underlay used.
Australian Concrete Mats are packaged as easy to transport rolls and are quick to install using standard equipment.
- Permanent erosion control solution
- Cost-effective for severe or minor erosion needs
- Easy maintenance – commercial mowers can be used
- Fast and simple installation – roll design makes installation efficient
- Aesthetic solution – blends in with natural surroundings
- Improves safety – safe to walk or drive across
- Environmentally friendly – phytoremediation and low thermal impact
- Highly resistant to weather conditions and wet dry cycles
- Reduces construction cost – low material cost, less labour and faster project completion
- Versatile solution – flexible erosion control mats conform to existing ground contours, minimising site preparation
- Vegetated concrete mats are less prone to graffiti compared to shotcreted walls
- Australian Concrete Mats can be removed and reused on future sites
- Expected lifespan 75 years
Australian Concrete Mats provide engineered and permanent solutions:
- Prevent roadside erosion
- Protect storm water inlets and outlets from erosion
- Prevent slope erosion
- Protect canal and and stream embankments from erosion
- Prevent shoreline erosion
- Suitable for flood control – debris or logs are not caught in the mat and waterways remain open.
- Access roads
- Mine site rehabilitation
- Protecting gas and utility services
Australian Concrete Mats are a welcome alternative to Articulated Blocks, Rock Rip Rap and Poured Concrete Channels
- Less expensive and faster to install
- Can be driven over and maintained with commercial mowers
- Locked in place, will not move like rock
- Contours to the landscape and flexes with ground movement
- Cannot be thrown by vandals
- Once vegetated, Australian concrete mats will not heat rainwater like exposed rock. They are particularly useful where the stormwater discharge requires control of the heat flow from the “first flush” of water before it reaches a stream.
To learn more about concrete mats please view the following webinar where Richard explains what the material is, how it works, and the many features and benefits. You will learn how this innovative and easy to use system can be applied to a multitude of scenarios, where erosion protection, prevention and soil stabilisation may be an issue and most importantly, result in supporting rehabilitation of the natural landscape.