Biodegradable Nutrition Geotextile is a newly developed erosion control mat that protects soils in areas exposed to wind or high rainfall. It both protects the soil from erosion, provides an ideal media for seed germination and encourages strong and healthy vegetation growth while inhibiting weed growth. Biodegradable Nutrition Geotextile is used for the stabilisation of embankments or batters and as an underlay under Australian Concrete Mats.
When rolls (up to 6m wide) are laid over a well prepared soil and firmly pegged in place, the geotextile binds with the soil to prevent erosion. The small openings promote seed germination while the wool and plant fibres reduce moisture loss from the soil and fertilise the growing seedlings.
Biodegradable Nutrition Geotextile is made from high strength polypropylene needle punched with wool and plant fibres. The soft geotextile has a high tear resistance and excellent drainage. Wool aerates the substrate and retains water. This reduces watering frequency and allows optimal root growth. As the wool decomposes it slowly releases valuable plant nutrients – Nitrogen-9%, Phosphorous-1% and Potasium-2% as well as Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, Sulphur and micro micronutrients into the soil. The result is strong, healthy vegetation without the need for additional fertilisation for up to 6 months.
APPLICATIONS FOR BIODEGRADABLE NUTRITION GEOTEXTILE
- Erosion control and re-vegetation applications e.g. slope protection, mine rehabilitation, tailing ponds, landfills, landfill caps, bunds;
- To establish trees, shrubs and groundcovers in landscape projects, road edges and industrial and residential sites;
- Lagoons, water treatment facilities, golf courses;
- Under geocells and concrete mats;
- Ideal biodegradable erosion control mat replacement for jute and coir matting.
ADVANTAGES OF BIODEGRADABLE NUTRITION GEOTEXTILE
- Easy to install particularly where there is insufficient topsoil or the slope is too steep for the placement of topsoil. Rolls up to 6m wide are available;
- Easy to seed;
- Less water is required to achieve a high germination percentage and high survival rate;
- Inhibits weeds during early plant growth;
- Vegetation is strong and healthy;
- Max water flow rate is 4m/s.
Biodegradable Nutrition Geotextile is an effective way to prevent soil erosion on slopes and to re-establish natural vegetation. No further work is needed after the main installation except what is needed to sustain the vegetation.
- Smooth the area to be treated to an even grade. Remove all protruding rocks, root stumps, etc. and treat the soil to promote maximum plant growth. Apply seed, directly to the soil prior to laying Biodegradable Nutrition Geotextile.
- An anchor trench, no less than 200mm deep, should be dug around the whole area including bottom, sides and top of work area, this will protect the edges of the geotextile from being lifted during rain or flooding events.
- Lay Biodegradable Nutrition Geotextile rolls in the direction of water flow and away from the direction of the prevailing wind. Backfill the trench and compact the soil over the geotextile.
- Depending on the steepness of the slope, Biodegradable Nutrition Geotextile should be pinned with approximately 2 pegs per m2, (i.e. the more pegs used, the more secure the matting will be) with particular attention being paid to side and end runs. Side and downhill joins should overlap by no less than 100mm with the top run overlapping.
- As water velocities increase, GA Nutrition Geotextile should be pinned at reduced centres.
- Maintain and water the site as required, to promote the growth of vegetation.
|Puncture Strength (CBR)||N||650|
|Sieve Size O90||mm||1.8|
|Available Nutrients||N : P : K|